Advice to my 16 year old self - featuring Associate Professor Joy Wolfram

8 March 2022

On International Womens’ Day, we asked AIBN’s Associate Professor Joy Wolfram what advice she would give to her 16-year-old self if she could mentor a younger Joy.

Work hard, have very clear goals

“So the advice I would give to my 16-year-old self would be to work hard, have very clear goals but also be flexible in how you obtain those goals. Because we can't really  ever control our external environment, so our motivation needs to come from within.” 

Associate Professor Joy Wolfram is a group leader at AIBN who leads a nanomedicine research laboratory with the goal of developing innovative approaches that bring the next generation of treatments and diagnostics directly to the clinic.

Enjoy the journey

“Perhaps what I haven't practised so much that I would advise my 16-year-old self to do is to also enjoy the journey and you know stress less so the things we worry about today don't really matter a few weeks or months from now." 

It's important to have fun

“It's important to work hard but also have fun and not take yourself too seriously and not take life too seriously."

Never let anyone tell you that you can't be a scientist

“To a young girl in science, I would say if you want to solve problems that no one has been able to solve then definitely we need you. And it's not going  to be easy but it's going to be rewarding and it's going to be fun."